Residents are reminded that Cedar Hill’s current Code of Ordinances, Sec. 11-119(a)(2)d prohibits parking upon any public street within twenty-five (25) feet of the entrance or exit to an alley, and on the side of the street opposite the alley entrance or exit within twenty-five (25) feet of the entrance or exit between the hours of 7:00a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Drivers who violate this ordinance impede access to alleys by maintenance vehicles, emergency vehicles or trash collection vehicles and may be cited for the violation. Residents are encouraged to share this information with visitors so that neighborhood services are not impacted.
Residential Trash / Recycling Service
Trash and recycling are collected weekly, on the same day. Review the collection day map (PDF). Trash and recycling should be set out by 7 a.m. on collection day. You may set carts out after 6 p.m. or one hour before sunset, whichever is earlier, on the evening before collection.
- Every single-family home has a green 96-gallon wheeled cart with a green lid for household trash.
- Every single-family home has been issued a 96-gallon wheeled cart with a yellow lid for recycling. Carts will not be collected if they contain anything but acceptable recyclable materials.
- Please place cart 5 feet from obstructions (such as vehicles or mailboxes) within 1 from curb or fence if in an alley. Place carts 2-3 feet apart with the handles facing the home or fence.
- PLEASE DO NOT PARK WITHIN 25 FEET OF THE ALLEY ENTRANCE/EXIT ON THE ALLEY SIDE OF THE STREET OR WITHIN 25 FEET EITHER SIDE OF THE ALLEY ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE STREET (CITY ORDINANCE, CHAPTER 11, ARTICLE III, SECTION 11-119).
- Residents may elect to lease an additional 96-gallon trash cart for $3.10 per month per cart. To request a trash cart, submit a request or call the Customer Service Department at (469) 272-2931.
- Green waste, brush and bulk items are collected on a monthly pickup schedule (PDF). See below for additional information regarding these special collections.
Bulk items are collected once per month and are limited to 4 cubic yards. Collection will be on the front curb the same week as your brush pick up. View brush and bulk pickup map.
Residents may call into Waste Management at (972) 315-5400 to schedule a second free bulk collection, once per month.
Acceptable Bulk Items:
- Pieces of furniture
- One fence section (cut to 4ft. sections with no concrete)
- Other residential items too large for a container
Unacceptable Bulk Items:
- Construction debris
- Hazardous waste
In the Spring and the Fall the City provides collection of electronic waste items that can be recycled including: CD/DVD players, cell phones, copiers, fax machines, printers, satellite TV equipment, VCRs and TVs. The E-waste event includes free paper shredding service. For more information, visit the Environmental Collection Day website.
Loose Brush Monthly Service
Larger quantities of brush are picked up at the curb (not in the alley) once a month according to the map. Week 1 begins the first Monday of each month. More information and a map showing collection weeks is available online.
Brush does not need to be bundled, but must not exceed 4-foot lengths or branches over 6 inches in diameter. Do not place brush on water meters or under power / telephone lines. Residents may place up to 10 cubic yards (size of a small car).
Brush resulting from work done by a commercial service provider will not be picked up such as tires, hazardous waste, commercial waste or construction debris. For amounts over 10 yards, please contact Waste Management at (972) 315-5400 for pricing.
The City of Cedar Hill encourages recycling. Recyclable materials include:
- Aluminum cans
- Cereal boxes
- Glass bottles Number 1 and Number 2 plastic bottles and containers (HDPE and PET)
- Household paper products
- Junk mail
- Steel / tin cans
- Telephone books
Recycled materials are picked up citywide on your regular trash pickup day. No sorting is necessary. Please do not include the following items in your recycled material:
- Automotive batteries
- Cooking oil
- Motor oil
- Other hazardous materials
- Paint cans
- Packaging materials contaminated with food or grease
- Pesticide containers
For more recycling information, refer to WM’s Recycle Often Recycle Right website.
Proper Disposal of Grease & Cooking Oil
Do not pour cooking oil or grease down your sink. When these materials cool they collect in sewer pipes and clog them, resulting in expensive repairs and occasionally, backups into homes.
Small amounts of cooking oil can be collected in a paper towel and disposed in the garbage. Larger quantities, such as used in fryers, should be collected in a container and disposed either at the quarterly Environmental Collection Days, or taken to the EEC facility in Fort Worth.
Holiday & Inclement Weather Make-up Days
If trash pickup is missed due to a holiday or inclement weather, service schedules for that week will be affected. Please call Waste Management at (800) 772-8623 for collection details or go to the WM website.
Waste Management observes the following three holidays: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Once per quarter at no cost, residents may take materials such as fencing, brush, construction trash etc. to the Waste Management landfill located at 1201 North Central Avenue, in Ferris, TX. The maximum quantity for disposal at no charge is three cubic yards per visit.
Residents will need to present their most recent utility bill and a driver’s license with the same address shown on the bill. The landfill is open from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday - Friday and on Saturdays from 6 a.m. to Noon
Waste Management is the service provider for trash, recycling and landfill access for the residents and businesses of Cedar Hill. You may contact them Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m, and on Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon at (972) 315-5400.