• Start your holiday cooking with all areas clean and cleared of all combustibles that could ignite if placed too close to the stove area. In example:
    • Boxes
    • Holiday decorations
    • Pot holders
    • Towels
Picture of Thanksgiving dinner laid out on a long table.
  • When cooking, do not wear clothing with loose sleeves or dangling jewelry. The clothing can catch on fire and the jewelry can catch on pot handles, causing spills and burns.
  • Never leave cooking food unattended. If you must leave the kitchen while cooking, turn off the stove or have someone else watch what is being cooked. Unattended cooking is the #1 cause of home fires.
  • If a fire does occur, put a lid on it! Pan fires are best extinguished by covering the pan with a lid or a cookie sheet to smother the flames.
  • If this doesn't put out the fire, Get Out! Call 911! Never Go Back Inside!
  • Have a fire escape plan and a designated meeting place for your family.
  • Have a fire extinguisher available no more than 10 feet from the stove, on the exit side of the room. A 2-1/2 lb. class ABC multi-purpose dry chemical extinguisher is recommended. Know how to use your fire extinguisher.
  • Keep your family and overnight guests safe with a working smoke detector on every level of the house, in every bedroom, and in the halls adjacent to the bedrooms. Test smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries at least twice a year.