Driver's Safety Course
If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to have your citation dismissed by taking a six-hour Driver’s Safety Course (DSC). You are allowed to take a DSC once a year for a ticket dismissal for most moving violations, EXCEPT:
- Speeding 25 mph or more above the posted speed limit
- Leaving the scene of a collision
- Passing a school bus
- Any moving violation in a construction zone with workers present
To be eligible to request this course you:
- Must not have taken a driver’s safety course for a dismissal within twelve months from the date of the offense
- Must not be currently taking the course for another traffic offense
- Must not have a commercial driver’s license
To request this option your request must be received or postmarked within 30 days of the date on your citation. At the time of your request you must:
- Complete an affidavit form provided by the Municipal Court
- Pay court costs ($144 for most violations, $169 for school zone violations)
- Present a valid Texas driver’s license
- Show proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance) reflecting you as a listed driver
Class Completion Time & Follow Up
If you are eligible and meet all the requirements you will be granted 90 days to:
- Complete a driver’s safety course that has been approved by the Texas Education Agency. You may choose either a traditional classroom training course or an online course. The online courses have (A) beside their name. Both are 6-hour classes.
- Present your certificate of completion to the court. Allow up to 2 weeks for DPS to mail the certificate to you.
- Present a certified copy of your driving record. Be sure to request 3A certified from the Department of Public Safety. You may immediately print the record
If you fail to provide the court with the required documents, you will have to appear at a Show Cause Hearing before a Municipal Court Judge to explain why you have failed to comply. If you fail to appear at the hearing, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and a conviction of the offense charged will be entered on your driving record.
To Request to take a Driver’s Safety Course click the "Driver’s Safety Course Request" box directly above or if prefer a printable Driver’s Safety Course Request Form (PDF) to submit by mail, fax or e-mail.